Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Maggie Dress

The boyfriend and I had a really wonderful Valentine's Day - actually a good Valentine's Day Weekend since he had to go back to Austin on Valentine's Day and that kind of sucked.  We're not the kind of couple that usually celebrates Valentine's Day - but this last one was such a milestone moment in our relationship that I declared it like a second honeymoon.  Only we've never had a first honeymoon since we're not married.  Which led the boyfriend to talk about getting married...

No, he didn't propose.  After being together 5 1/2 years and having a kid (plus helping raise 3 others) together, I don't expect a big diamond ring moment.  In fact, I was always the one who nixed any wedding talk.  Before I start getting hate mail, I'm not anti-marriage in any way.  I love weddings - other people's.  But I have never envisioned myself in the bride scenario.  So when the boyfriend started talking about wanting to get married it really threw me for a loop.  Honestly, when I try to think of what kind of wedding I would like to have - I kind of come up blank.  Something very small and intimate with our kids serving as the wedding party...  That's about it.

I've been thinking about it off and on since last weekend, and I'm not at all sold on the idea yet.  If it's something that he really wants, then I'll go along with it.  Honestly, I think it would probably change how some people envision our relationship, but I've never needed outside validation.  A piece of paper won't change the fact that we're already a family. 

Anyway, most unmarried women could probably draw you a picture of their dream wedding dress within 3 seconds.  I'm not one of those girls.  In fact, the only dress I could think of that I really liked was the one Elizabeth Taylor wore in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.



In case you haven't seen it, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is hardly the portrait of a happy marriage - so it might be a very odd choice for a wedding dress.  But just out of curiosity, I searched around a little and found someone on Ebay (PinkPurr Studio) who makes a close replica for $500 (a steal for a custom-made wedding dress). 



That's about as far as I'm going to go with this wedding talk for a while.  But it's still a beautiful dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment