Monday, September 24, 2012

What I'm...

READING


I'm currently in a full-scale reading mania.  Although I'm always reading something, about once a year I get consumed by the desire to read, read, read and it's all I want to do. 

I recently finished Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier.  It's based on the true story of Mary Anning, a working-class girl who grew up hunting fossils on the shore to sell to tourists.  Her passion and talents led her to discover several unknown dinosaur species, but her position and gender held her back from the recognition she should have earned.  It's a remarkable story and Chevalier tells it well.  I felt so inspired, I took the family to a dinosaur museum this weekend.

WATCHING


Yesterday I watched A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  For a self-described avid reader, it's kind of funny that I've never read the book.  The movie has been on my "To Watch" list for ages because it is kind of hard to find.  Why it's not on DVD I have no idea - it's truly wonderful. 

I have a thing for movies set around the turn of the twentieth century, maybe because I grew up obsessed with the Anne of Green Gables books and miniseries.  Similar to I Remember Mama and Meet Me in St. Louis, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is nostalgic and sentimental, without being maudlin. The perfect Sunday afternoon movie.

WANTING


The Lion King Broadway show is coming to Austin in January and I have to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment