Friday, November 25, 2011

Lounge Chairs

I hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving yesterday!  I didn't do a specific post about it, but let me express my extreme gratitude for you - the reader.  I've always looked at Love in Idleness as my place to come and ramble about house-related stuff the boyfriend gets tired of hearing about.  So it is super touching that someone takes time out of their day to read (and sometimes even comment!) about my ideas or projects.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Speaking of the boyfriend.  He's told me in no uncertain terms that he hates our couch.  I assumed at first he hated that it is kinda ugly since I'm still saving up pennies to get it reupholstered.  This is what it looked like when we brought it home:

It looks exactly the same except now it sits on a blue rug and people think we have an unhealthy obsession with the color.  Eventually it's going taupe.   Although every time I see an episode of How I Met Your Mother I consider going golden yellow like Lily and Marshall's apartment. 

But then I think, you can find golden yellow retro couches every day on the side of the road, and I don't think they're all that attractive.  So it would probably be a big waste of money to have it recovered to look like a curb couch. 

It turns out that the boyfriend hates the low back.  I personally love it - both aesthetically and comfort-wise.  Which means, I'm not getting rid of the couch any time soon.  However, to keep the piece, I've decided to find him a Man Chair.  Something he can lean back and relax in - that our kids will refer to as "Dad's Chair."

Unfortunately, since I told him of the idea, I've come to realize this is his version of a Man Chair.

Preferably the kind with a built-in cooler and surround speakers.

Yeah, not happening.

My dream is to score a Plycraft or other knock-off of the classic Eames lounge chair and ottoman.  One will appear every couple of months on Craigslist (typically around $500), but they usually disappear within hours - what a hot ticket.

The other idea is to go with a distressed leather chair - either a club or a wingback.  Unfortunately, this option won't really save us any money (and might actually be more expensive), but leather chairs are much easier to find.  I'm really hoping to score at one of the nearby outlet malls - Restoration Hardware Outlet, are you listening?

Either way, like the couch's reupholstery, it's going to be an investment.  One that really makes sense since we'll get a lot of use out of it through the years.  Like most things in our house, I'd rather wait (and save) for what I really want than waste money on something I don't love completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment