Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Goodwill Hunting

I stopped by my favorite Goodwill yesterday looking for furniture.  I struck out in that department, but picked up a couple of decor items.


These woven baskets were 99 cents each.  I think they're the perfect size for toiletry storage.


This urn was $3.99.  Not super cheap, but I think it will pair well with some other vessels in a nice little vignette someday.  It might get spraypainted yellow. 

And the find I'm most excited about...



An illuminated globe!

To understand my enthusiasm, you have to realize that I posted about wanting one of these back in January of 2011!  And on that post, I was looking at laying down around $85 for this type - and illuminated black globe.  I got this one for the bargain price of $13.99.  Even after adding $2.50 for new lightbulbs, I'm still at only a fifth of the cost of one new.

However, I can't take credit for the find.  My son was the eagle-eyed shopper who brought this one home.  (I'm raising quite the bargain hunter.)  It hadn't even made it to the shelf yet, but was haphazardly tossed in a shopping cart of stuff waiting to be put out. 

I love that it is educational, but still cool looking, and even functional as a nightlight.  Atticus is already having a good time finding various countries and cities.  And it won't hurt me any to study up on geography.  Don't you love when you find yourself completely ignorant about things like whether Bolivia is a country or a city, or where to even start looking for Tobago on a map.  Oh, I'm the only one?  Yet, I am probably also the only one who once insulted a geography Ph.D. student by completely refusing to understand how that is a subject you can get a doctorate in.  I think my exact words were: "It's not even a high school class, you take it in seventh grade!"  Blissfully ignorant, that's me.

Anyway, if you keep your eye out, what you want will almost always show up on sale.  Although it might take 18 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment