Monday, July 25, 2011

Weekend Shopping

My stepson visited last week and, probably without knowing it, was a HUGE help.  He's a really good kid all of the time, but this week he patiently played with his little brother so I could continue to recuperate (between marathon cooking sessions - man, teenage boys can eat some food).  So by this weekend I was starting to feel much more normal and was able to get some shopping in.

On Friday, we went to a local Goodwill that I hadn't stopped by yet.  All of our local Goodwills have taken up doing auctions on their best pieces, which I kind of hate.  However, this Goodwill had "Buy It Now" prices like Ebay - so that's a nice change.

Anyway, I ended up picking up this small industrial cart for $10.


I did a little research when we got home and discovered it was originally a typewriter table.  I envisioned it as a bar.


I love the idea of a bar cart - it just seems kind of grown up to have one.  Even though the boyfriend and I so rarely drink all I had for the staged picture was an old bottle of Root Beer Schnapps.  And since we so rarely drink, I decided to list the cart on Craigslist to see if anyone else wanted it.  If I sell it for a small profit, I'll be happy.  Otherwise, I'll still be happy because I like my $10 bar cart.

That night I saw a posting for a pair of night stands tables on Craigslist for $35.  The boyfriend kindly drove me up to Georgetown to pick them up and you should have seen my face when we pulled into the seller's driveway.  They had lots of cute stuff for super cheap.  All of it was beat up and needed work, but was appropriately (even under) priced.

Unfortunately, we drive a car and nothing else besides the night stands (pictures coming soon) would fit.  It made me a little sick to my stomach.  Mostly because we had to leave this behind.




What do you mean you can't tell how cool they are from this incredibly crappy Craigslist photos?  (Sorry, but I didn't bring a camera.)  It's a solid wood faux bamboo and cane dining set.  It's in rough shape, but could look GORGEOUS once redone.  The caning needs to be reattached on a few of the chairs, but there wasn't any holes in it that I saw.  And what's more - they only want $25 for the set.  So, if you're in the Austin area and would like a great set to refinish - here's the Craigslist ad.  I feel really bad that I have to pass on it - but hopefully someone (with a truck) will be able to snatch it up.

Later that day we bought a kitchen island from a friend who is moving.  I'll try to get some pictures of it and the night stands tomorrow.  I'm still not able to lift over 20 pounds, so that unfortunately slows the furniture flipping business down a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment