Monday, May 6, 2013

Bunk Bed Project - Part 1 - Shopping

A little over two years ago (yes, two years), I decided to make bunk beds for my son's room.  Well, those bunk beds are officially started!

I went to Home Depot yesterday and picked up my lumber and some other supplies.  For this project, I'm following Ana White's plan - Side Street Bunk Beds.  I'll also be adding a ladder and a railing on one side of the top bunk.


I went to a fairly quiet Home Depot and was pleasantly surprised by the first-class service I received.  I had two guys pulling boards for me and checking them for straightness.  Another man went back and forth picking out my screws, bolts, and some other accessories.  And yet another guy loaded it up for me.  I joked with the boyfriend that he was no longer allowed to go with me to Home Depot - since obviously they thought I was completely helpless and did all the hard work for me.

I picked framing lumber (pine) for the 2x6s and whitewood for the 2x4s and 2x2s.  The whitewood looked better than the other choice, yellow pine, although I swore to stay away from whitewood after my kitchen rolling storage fiasco (still have to blog about that one...).  I ended up picking up some pre-primed 1x3 pine for the railing.

By the way, for anyone who is reading this because they are looking into making this plan - the lumber list is currently wrong - you need 4 2x2s.

I borrowed my friend's Suburban to get it all home.



Currently, there's an oversized pool table taking up most of our one-car garage (aka my workspace), so I'm going to have to move all of this to the patio and work there.

Atticus asked if he would be able to sleep on his bunk beds tonight.  I laughed and told him definitely not, although I'll try to get them finished in a week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment