Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bunk Bed Project - Part 3 - Footboard and Legs

This project might end up being a million posts long, but it's really not a difficult project at all.  Just time consuming.  And there's that whole full time job that likes to get in my way.  Plus, I try to be a good neighbor and not use my loud power tools after 9 pm.  So, I basically get in about an hour every weeknight after cooking dinner, playing with my kid and watching television.  But I'm not making excuses, because I've actually got a lot done since my last post.

I built the footboard.  Which is exactly like the headboard, only upside down in this picture.

Then the plans called for extra leg supports to be added.  I was so excited that my measurements were spot on, I had to call the boyfriend out to the garage to show off my super carpentry skills.

I added the supports and started on the real time consuming part - filling the holes and any uneven spots on the wood (especially the knot holes). 

The now-beefed-up legs are actually two 2x4's screwed together.  I want them to look like one seamless piece, so I'm experimenting with a two part process where I caulk the seam, and then go over with wood filler after the caulk has cured.  It's one of those things that takes no time at all to do, but then you have to wait at least 2 hours in between each step.

I keep reminding myself to go slowly and do the steps carefully and to the best of my ability - it will pay off in the end.  But I'm so excited to see the finished product and it's getting very close to us being able to put it all together for a test fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment