Julia at It's Always Ruetten was sweet enough to give me a Liebster Award!
You're supposed to post 11 random facts about yourself, answer 11 questions from the person who gave you the award, and nominate 11 bloggers and give them questions. However, I was obviously feeling pretty verbose and wrote way too much for the first part (the 11 random facts) - so I'll be splitting this into two posts.
11 Random Facts About Me:
1. I was born with 12 fingers and 12 toes - one extra digit on each hand/foot. They were removed when I was just a baby, so I don't have any good pictures. I guess it wasn't something my parents wanted to properly document. I still have the scars, and it's always my go-to random fact about myself when you have to play this game at work/school/etc. Now for 10 more...
2. I'm a list freak, especially about movies and books. It started my senior year in high school when the Modern Library released its list of "100 Best English-language Novels of the 20th Century." I considered myself well-read at that point, so the fact that I had only read two books on the list was like a gauntlet thrown in my face. I still have the newspaper clipping and when I read one of the books, I cross it off.
It's sad that 15 years later, I still haven't finished the list (especially since I vowed to be finished before I turned 30) - but it's hardly the only list I'm working on. I frequent a site called Lists of Bests (which looks like it's down right now, but should be up again soon) where you can adopt lists of movies/books/place/things to work on. It's a great way to find book and movie recommendations, or just feel all warm and fuzzy when you finish a list.
3. I've only left the U.S. once - I spent a month in Ireland when I was in college. I love travel and want to go everywhere.
4. The boyfriend and I currently have no plans to get married - ever. We've waffled a bit over the years, and sometimes I feel pressure because our daughters and his mom really want us to get married. But it's not something I really want or need.
5. My favorite actor is Ewan McGregor. I simply love everything about him and fear that I will one day meet him and turn into a slobbering fool.
6. My favorite bands are The Beatles and Travis. I bought Florence and the Machine's latest album in December and I haven't taken it out of the car stereo since. It is kind of driving my family crazy, so I have been making an effort to find new music to listen to.
7. My middle name is Luella. I was named after two of my great grandmothers - Lou and Ella. However, when I got in trouble when I was little, my mom always called me Kai Luella. And I guess it happened a lot because at one point I believed my name was "Kai Luella" and my older sister's name was "Kai." So, when I was in high school, one of my friends told me the Spanish pronunciation is "Lu-eya" and that's how I've pronounced it ever since. Even my mom uses it, so I think that makes it official.
8. While we're on names - Kai is pronounced "Ki" - rhymes with Sky, My, Pie, etc. It was mispronounced both times I graduated (high school and college), and about a million times besides. It has been getting better lately - I think the name is becoming more popular.
9. I've seen every movie that won the Academy Award for Best Picture.
10. My son is named Atticus after the character from To Kill a Mockingbird.
11. My favorite food is crawfish. You haven't lived until you've been to a crawfish boil with hot piles of them heaped on a table, with potatoes and corn.... Yum. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a great place to get them in Austin.
That's all for today. I'll be back tomorrow with answers for Julia's questions and my nominees.