Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Girls on the Flying Trapeze

We're finally finished with Christmas - just in time for New Years Eve!  I'm not going to lie and say it was the best Christmas ever (mostly due to the fact that I worked the entire time my family was in town so I feel like I barely saw them), but it had some really nice moments.

The gift I was definitely most excited about was a trapeze lesson for my two girls.  The boyfriend and I are big believers in giving the kids more "experience" presents than just more material items.  We love making memories and I think the trapeze lesson will be something neither girl will ever forget.

We did the lessons at Trapeze Austin.  Of course, even especially at Christmas I have to get a deal.  Regular 1-hour lessons are $47.  I went through a Groupon deal (they frequently are on both the Austin Groupon and the San Antonio Groupon, which is where I bought mine) where they were only $23.  But I also had a Groupon coupon for $10 off and so I got both for $18 each (61% off!).

When we got there, I could tell my 8-year-old, Lauren, was getting nervous.  I thought for the beginner lesson, they would probably be hanging from a bar about four feet off of the ground.  Not the case at all.  I'm not the best at judging measurements, but the platform was probably about 30-40 feet off of the ground.  Very intimidating!  I was super happy with the choice to do it for both of the girls, Chelsea being there definitely helped build up Lauren's confidence.

They had a couple of minutes of vigorous stretching and warm-ups, which the girls were not too keen on.  Lauren made the comment that "This is worse than P.E.!"

Safety first - they attached belts for the safety rope. 

Next, they practiced bringing their knees up on the low bar.  I was really impressed with the coaching style.  Both of the trainers were very enthusiastic and supportive.

Now it was time for the real deal.  Look how high it is!

Lauren definitely had it harder - being so small she couldn't hold on to the trapeze and the stand on the platform at the same time, so they lifted her.



I didn't think she would take another turn after that, but she worked up her courage and did it one more time!  Afterwards she said it was a lot of fun, but didn't want to do it again.



Chelsea, on the other hand, was a natural.  They suggested she come back for the two-hour class and she's excited about doing it again!  I might even join her next time, it looked like so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment